Asking Price: £1.5 million
Dating back to the 16th century, Fernie Castle is now used as a hotel and wedding venue. It also has a luxury treehouse.
This site has been home to a castle from at least 1353 when it belonged to the Earls of Fife. The current building was first constructed in the early sixteenth century, after Florentin Adinulty was granted these lands in 1510 on condition that he build a house of stone and lime. The site was then enlarged by the Fernie family later in the sixteen the century, including four-storey main block and two towers.
More additions were made to the castle in the nineteenth century, and the interior has a Georgian style. In 1960 the property was converted into hotel.
Today, Fernie Castle consists of 20 bedrooms, 20 bathrooms, four reception rooms, a drawing room, great hall, circular turret, and a ball room. The property, which is 17 acres of gardens and forest, also includes a 3-bedroom cottage. Another perk is a tree house. Frank Knight, the realtors selling the castle, explain that “perched within six sycamore trees, the substantial tree house is approached via a flight of stairs to a balcony. Double doors open into a luxury bedroom, with spiral stairs leading up the octagonal bathroom, complete with a free standing bath. There are a total of three balconies to take in the views over the surrounding policies.”
Fernie Castle is located near the village of Letham in eastern Scotland, with the historic town of St. Andrews about 15 miles away. To see more pictures and learn more about the property, please visit the Frank Knight website.
See also the Fernie Castle website
Top Image: Photo by James Allan / Geograph.org.uk