This week, Danièle answers your burning medieval questions from social media and Patreon, covering everything from diapers, to sleep, to the mysterious Green Man.
Some of the sources used for the answers in this podcast:
- The Trotula: A Compendium of Women’s Medicine
- Medicine and Healing in the Premodern West: A History in Documents (bit from Avicenna) by Winston Black
- Ring the Bell for Matins: Circadian Adaptation to Split Sleep by Cloistered Monks and Nuns
- Roger Ekirch’s sources on biphasic/segmented sleep
- Social Welfare and Mutual Aid in the Medieval Countryside
- The Green Man in Britain by Fran and Geoff Doel
- Medieval Seals of the Bishops of Durham
- Sir Gowther
- Sir Orfeo
- Medieval Children by Nicholas Orme
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (in translation) by JRR Tolkien
To get your copy of Danièle’s new digital download – 300+ Dirty, Sexy Words for Historical Writers – please visit her website.
You can also help support the podcast and Medievalists.net through our Patreon – go to https://www.patreon.com/medievalists to learn more.
Top Image: Green Man at Norwich Cathedral – photo by Poliphilo / Wikimedia Commons