Scottish police are investigating the theft of stones from Yester Castle.
According to a statement from police in East Lothian, thieves managed to remove several stones from the castle, which dates back to the thirteenth century. “The theft of the stone has created a large area of damage in the wall that supports the vault of the underground room which has caused concerns around safety,” they noted, “causing the castle to be closed to the public for the foreseeable future.”
Now mostly a ruin, Yester Castle has a somewhat prominent and interesting medieval past. The original keep was built before 1267 by Sir Hugo de Giffard. The Scotichronicon, a 15th-century source, claimed that Giffard was a wizard and that the castle was built by an army of hobgoblins. The castle remained in use until the mid-sixteenth century, but was subsequently abandoned. It is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Police are appealing to members of the public to come forward with any information about the theft, including any suspicious activity that has taken place since the summer. If you have any information regarding this please call 101 quoting incident number 1181 of 12/10/2021.
Top image: Photo by Brendandh / Wikimedia Commons