Medieval Writing Surfaces: An Interview With Dr. Mary Watt
Dr. Mary Watt of the University of Florida talks with Mead Bowen about what people in the Middle Ages wrote on: parchment and vellum, answering questions, such as:
- What is the difference between parchment and vellum?
- In which regions was parchment commoner, as opposed to where vellum was commoner?
- Could you explain the processes behind vellum and parchment production?
- When did mass-produced paper emerge?
- What kind of ink would scribes use on parchment or vellum?
- How would someone bind the pages into a book or into a manuscript?