A new video game will soon allow players to explore, build up and go to war in 30 million square kilometres of pixelated medieval Europe. The makers of Grand Ages: Medieval announced this month that the game will be released in 2015.
A preview of the game was shown at the Gamescom 2014 fair in Cologne, Germany. Kalypso Media offers this about the game’s storyline:
It is the year 1050 AD. At the beginning of the High Middle Ages development in Europe has seen an unprecedented level of progress and a rapidly growing population spreads across the length and breadth of the continent. New frontiers are explored, settlements founded and vast trading routes established. As the head of one of these small settlements, it falls upon you to lead your people towards greatness. Explore a vast world, gather resources, encounter other societies and use your trading expertise to expand and make your fortune. Found new cities, progress your nation with inventive technology and protect your trade routes against barbarian attacks until you are powerful enough to begin your conquest over Europe and forge a bold new empire.
Grand Ages: Medieval is a real-time strategy that will allow you to build up your civilization by utilising construction, research, expansion and conquest in an area extending from Scandinavia to the Middle East. You begin your game as the mayor of a small settlement. Some of the feature of the game include:
- Explore a gigantic game world of over 30 million square kilometres, plot strategically where to found important cities and defend your kingdom against foreign powers
- Raise an army and fight your opponents with knights, archers and cavalry
- Produce and trade 20 different goods to meet the demands of your citizens and soldiers: such as coal, fruits and pottery
- Research and utilise 50 major technological advancement of the Middle Ages: including the three-field crop rotation, the low warp loom or the longbow
- Face devastating natural disasters like storms, fires, volcanoes, droughts, earthquakes… or even the Black Death
- Challenging Multiplayer Mode for up to 8 players via network and online
Grand Ages: Medieval is scheduled for release in 2015 for PC. For more information please visit www.grandages.com