Beja District, Portugal
Asking Price: 4.500.000 €
Also known as Saint Clement’s Castle, this fortress was built between 1599 and 1602 in order to defend the River Mira and town of Milfontes from pirate attacks. The site was also used in ancient and medieval times as a fortification.
Milfontes Castle gradually fell into ruin and it was sold at auction in 1906. It has had several owners, and was restored. The castle is now used as a hotel and includes nine bedrooms, a library, a wine cellar, outdoor terrace and garden.
For more information, please visit the Sotheby’s International Realty Portugal office
Want more medieval? Take a look at our digital magazine – The Medievalverse – Click here to see our latest issues