Asking Price about £5 million
This castle for sale in Italy dates back to the ninth century and comes with a medieval church and prison. The scenic Montegualandro Castle overlooks Lake Trasimeno from a hilltop perch and is surrounded by forests and olive groves. The history of the local area dates back to Etruscan and Roman times, but the first mention of the castle comes in 802 AD, when Emperor Charlemagne granted the castle to the Lord of Monte Santa Maria Tiberina.
Throughout the Middle Ages, this important castle came under attack several times. Emperor Frederick Barbarossa captured the castle during his campaigns in Italy in the 1160s, and gave it to one of his local allies. The City of Perugia, which lies about 25 km southeast of Montegualandro Castle, took over the castle in May of 1202, only to have the property rights to Andrea di Giacomo Montemelino and his family by Pope Gregory IX in 1238. The Montemelino family were officially the owners of Montegualandro until 1678, but they often were forced out of their property.
When the Montemelino family backed Emperor Frederick II in his fight with the Papacy over the control of Italy, it was forces from the city of Perugia who retook Montegualandro Castle and destroyed it on March 13, 1247. Pope Urban IV eventually returned it to Montemelinos.
In the 14th century the family was looking to sell the castle and even had an estimate drawn up to see how much it was worth. Instead, the castle was conquered again in 1334 by the city of Arezzo in their was with Perugia. The castle was eventually sold, in 1383, to the rulers of Cortona for 400 gold florins. Between 1443 and 1444 the castle was captured three times, finally ending up back in the hands of the Montemelino family. In the sixteenth-century, the castle and lordship fell under the control of the Papacy, as did the city of Perugia, becoming part of the Papal States. it continued to be fought over and traded hands into the nineteenth-century.
Montegualandro Castle is now listed as a heritage site, and saw significant restoration in the 1990s 1988-1994. The castle is over 1,800 square metres and the castellated outer wall of the castle’s keep encloses a garden area of about 1,500 square metres. The property includes another thirteen hectares of olive groves, pasture and woodland.
Within the walls are five buildings – the main castle, a guest cottage, the chapel, the old prison, and the old coach house. The main keep includes a large hall, library and wine-cellar, while the chapel, known as the Church of St. Nicholas, was built around 1230 AD. Meanwhile a prison can be found in the tower along the northeast section of the wall. Overall, the castle has 28 rooms and 11 bathrooms.
The owners have received permission to build another house outside the castle’s walls and another one inside with a swimming pool. Electricity and gas lines were installed during the recent renovations, while water is supplied from a private well on the property.
Montegualandro Castle is located in the municipality of Tuoro Sul Trasimeno, about ten minutes away from Cortona and thirty minutes from Perugia. For more details please visit Cluttons Italy.