Advertisement

Medieval Archaeological finds reported at Tipton

Archaeologists from MetroMOLA (Museum of London Archaeology) have recently completed the excavation of a site in the West Midlands town of Tipton, which has yielded exciting new findings about the medieval origins of Tipton Green.

The project arose as a result of MetroMOLA’s partnership with Birmingham Archaeology, who had dug evaluation trenches on a site in Shrubbery Avenue, Tipton, in late 2010. Birmingham Archaeology made a recommendation for further excavation, as one of the trenches uncovered evidence of a substantial wall thought to represent the foundations of Tipton Green Hall, constructed c. 1400 by the Dudley family.

The site is believed to have been the location of a Civil War skirmish in 1644, after Edward Dudley led a locally recruited band of Parliamentary troops in an attack on the Royalist stronghold of Dudley Castle. When the attack failed, the troops retreated to Tipton and were subsequently defeated in a battle thought to have taken place at Tipton Green Hall.

MetroMOLA’s excavation uncovered further evidence of the foundations of well constructed stone walls, as well as additional walls which had been robbed of their stone. A substantial stone structure, interpreted as being the base of the chimney stack, showed evidence of re-use, probably following the remodelling of the house in the 18th century.

Pits, post holes and beam slots from an earlier phase of occupation were also present, sealed by material associated with the construction of the 15th-century house. These features yielded a large quantity of high quality 12th and 13th-century pot. This is the earliest stratified material yet found in Tipton and is significant as it is the best clue we have as to the original location of the early medieval settlement recorded in the Domesday Book.

Source: Museum of London Archaeology

Sign up to get a Weekly Email from Medievalists.net

* indicates required

medievalverse magazine