This French castle, which dates back to the 11th century, sits on five hectares of land and is currently operated as a bed and breakfast inn and restaurant. The property comes with four cottages that house up to 14 guests, and a large outdoor heated pool.
History of the Castle: Chanzé is first mentioned in documents between 1055 and 1070 under the name of Canziacus or Canzi, then between 1070 and 1118 under Chanzeium, Chanzé or Sanzay. In the books of the Abbey of Saint-Florent in Saumur an endowment is documented which Arnaud of Chanzé made for his eternal soul and for the benefit of the Church of Saint-Jean in Thouarcé.
Two centuries later the Amenards become Lords of Chanzé. They also own the neighbouring estates of Assay, Noyers, Montbénault, Luigne and Petit-Riou. Pean Amenard, knight and husband of Isabel of Baussay, is the first successor mentioned at around 1300. Guy Amenard follows in 1315 and then Jean Amenard.
During the 17th and 18th centuries the castle was abandoned to become a ruin, and during the French Revolution was attacked and burned down. In the latter half of the 19th century, efforts began to restore the castle. In 1993, the present owners, Heinrich and Maria Albertina Stoesser-Gliott of Switzerland bought the estate and completed its restoration.
Want more medieval? Take a look at our digital magazine – The Medievalverse – Click here to see our latest issues