Carrignacurra Castle on the River Lee is a partly restored Tower House on about two acres of land that spans both banks of the river. Built in the 15th or 16th century, it is the last remaining Tower House home of the ancestors of the O’Leary Clan. Carrignacurra (Carraig na Choradh) means ‘Rock of the Weir”. The castle was captured after a short siege during an Irish uprising in 1602. It was refortified in 1641, and has been owned by several families over the centuries.
Carrignacurra Castle is a four storey tower house. It is not quite square, with longest side 38 feet and shortest side 25 feet. During the 20th century attempts were made to destroy the castle in order to strip and take away its stone, but the tower survived. It has undergone recent renovations, including building up and strengthening the four corners which had been undermined. This was followed by the installation of three timber sub-floors at the second, third and fifth levels. More recently the old Loft has been restored, and with it its slated roof. In addition there has been considerable rebuilding of loops, windows, door surrounds, the murder hole and other details.
The whole effect is quite remarkable. All has been done in good taste and to a high quality. The original structure has been faithfully followed, and there have been no new or more modern designs introduced. The sub-floor construction will permit pipes and wiring to be concealed, and there will be use of electrics, water from a well, sewage and storm water disposal and central heating.
For further details please contact: Helen Cassidy Auctioneers, Clonbur, Co. Galway on: 00353 94 95 46868/ 00 353 87 2463748
These particulars are intended to give a fair description of the property only and are in no way guaranteed, nor do they form part of any contract. They are issued on the express condition that all negotiations are conducted through Helen Cassidy. All properties are offered subject to contract and to being unsold.