Beautiful 13th century Irish Castle located on 17 acres approx with extensive frontage onto the River Shannon. Purchased in 1969 at auction by an Italian Count and his American Wife, this property is now offered for sale on the Open Market for the first time since then.
Beagh Castle was probably built the Knights of Glin around 1260. In later times it was used as a defensive outpost during Napoleonic Wars in the early 19th Century, and subsequently as a Coastguard Station (1835 – 1860).
Standing on a promontory on the south side of the Shannon with strategic views up and down river, and northwards across to Shannon Airport, its adjoining pier was once used as a stop for the Shannon packet steamer, and to facilitate this the road was brought to meet it in 1904.
An imposing tower house with a row of cottages south of it and tumbling down the hill to the entrance arch, the whole site comprises about 17 acres. A Recorded Monument and a Protected Structure, Limerick Co. Council has permitted the development of the existing cottages into 5 no holiday homes and a management office. A detached cottage further south and overlooking the site is also to be restored as part of the same scheme. The tradeoff for the permission is that the castle will be safeguarded as a ruin.
In recognition of its special Historic and Archaeological importance the Minister of the Environment has awarded it a Determination under Section 482 of the Consolidated Tax Act.
For further details please contact: Helen Cassidy Auctioneers, Clonbur, Co. Galway on: 00353 94 95 46868/ 00 353 87 2463748
These particulars are intended to give a fair description of the property only and are in no way guaranteed, nor do they form part of any contract. They are issued on the express condition that all negotiations are conducted through Helen Cassidy. All properties are offered subject to contract and to being unsold.
Want more medieval? Take a look at our digital magazine – The Medievalverse – Click here to see our latest issues