It is the largest brick church in the world. Until 1945 it was the biggest Evangelical Lutheran church in the world and has enough room for 25,000 people. The foundation stone was placed on the feast of the Annunciation on March 25, 1343. In 1577 , the church (until this point, Catholic) was taken over by Protestants. The church came back into the hands of the Catholic Church on 29 January 1946 .
5. Bell in the tower
7. Highest point of the Church
8. View from the top of the tower.
9. View of the city from the top of the Church.
10. Beautiful view…
11. View of the ship coming in…
13. Beautiful city scape.
14. The flag at the top of the building is the city’s coat of arms.
15. Close up of the city coat of arms.
16. Inside the church.
20. Maciej Płażyński was a Polish liberal-conservative politician who died in the Smolensk tragedy in April 2010. As an honour for his service, he was laid to rest in this church.
21. Clock/calendar inside the church.
Want more medieval? Take a look at our digital magazine – The Medievalverse – Click here to see our latest issues