Carrick Castle: symbol and source of Campbell power in south Argyll from the 14th to the 17th century
Ewart, Gordon & Baker, Fiona
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 128 (1998), 937-1016
An intermittent series of archaeological investigations was conducted at Carrick Castle, over a 10-year period, in tandem with repair and restoration of the building by its owner. Excavations focused on the barmkin (1985) and on deeply stratified deposits within the basement of the castle (1992-3; 1996). The 1996 work saw the complete excavation of the castle basement, revealing evidence of its late 14th-century origins, through to its intensive occupation during the 17th century and culminating in the clearance and repair programmes of the early 20th century. The present report offers a synthesis of all episodes offieldwork, a wide range of post-excavation analyses of artefacts and environmental materials, and a historical appraisal of the castle as a strategic stronghold in the emergence of Campbell power in Argyll. The report was prepared with funding from Historic Scotland.