A late medieval hall-house at Uttershill Castle, Penicuik, Midlothian

A late medieval hall-house at Uttershill Castle, Penicuik, Midlothian

Alexander, Derek, Nicholas Q Bogdan & Jon Grounsell

Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 128(1998), 1017-1046

This report presents the results of an integrated study of Uttershill Castle, Penicuik, undertaken in advance of a proposed restoration programme. Documentary research was combined with detailed architectural survey and archaeological excavation. The results indicate a sequence of development more complex than first suggested by the appearance of the ruins. The castle was initially a two storey bastle-house built in the 16th century. The upper floor was then modified in the early 17th century before a kitchen and solar were added to the east end with a contemporary structure to the south. Slightly later a structure was abutted against the south-western side of the castle. After abandonment, and the disappearance of the roof and external structures, the ruins were cleared of rubble and converted for use as a gunpowder store. This late 19th/20th-century reuse involved blocking most of the ground-floor openings and the erection of a fence across a gap in the southeastern wall. In addition to this disturbance the remains are reputed to have been subjected to an antiquarian-style excavation at this time.

Click here to download/read this article (PDF file)

Sign up to get a Weekly Email from

* indicates required

medievalverse magazine
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons